Monday, February 4, 2013

What I Would Change in my Life During Recovery?

What I Would Change in my Life During Recovery?


recovery


For starters, I would definitely want to be much more productive in society.

 The amount of time (over 22 years) I spent mostly drinking and even all the time I spent either riding my car, bike, hitchhiking or walking to the nearest liquor store I can even add all that up!

If I could take just a % of all that wasted time and effort to obtain my drug of choice, and put it towards something more productive, there is a strong possibility that I would stay clean and sober. I really want this!



Enough is Enough !

I'm Tired of being Tired (just like they say in the AA or NA meetings)

I am now 43 going on 44 this march 2013 and I feel the aches still to this day in recovery in my muscles and back. I am pretty sure excessive booze use has a lot to due with this.



One of my goals in life is when I am ready, I would love to either be a counselor and help people with similar recovery problems. Even if i  had to do it for free!


I have helped several homeless people with money, clothes, sleeping bags and drove some of them to the hospital due to their withdrawals.

The key here is "Wanting to Quit" and "Wanting Sobriety"... Unless you want this, you can be helped before it is too late. But, on the other hand, if you are stubborn and do not want any help or assistance, then nothing can be done because YOU HAVE TO MAKE THAT 1st STEP of admitting you are an addict.

I was very very stubborn at first. I did not want help. I did not want to go to any meetings. And if i did go to meetings, i usually sat way in the back and never talked or raised my hand.

If they called on me, i would just say "I Pass"  Hmm?

Now, does that sound like anyone wanting to get help?

NO It DOES NOT !!!


 
I finally reached a point to where i had little to no money and started begging people for a dollar or change just so i can get some booze. Again, all that time i spent doing that could have been used in my recovering efforts but I did not choose to do this.

Drugs are a little tougher to find because they are illegal but alcohol is on almost every corner these days. It is promoted so much on TV that its no wonder that there are so many people with problems with it.

I guess it would be selfish to say that ... "I wish they would make alcohol illegal" but of course, not only is that selfish and a pure resentment i have but there are those who do not have problems drinking and deserve to go purchase booze and drink it in a moderate fashion.

I always wished i could be one of those people who can just have one or two beers or cocktails and call it quits. No Way! I drink until i am either drunk of my ass of pass out somewhere like in a cow field (which happened).

During recovery, I am starting to notice my moods are changing for the better! i am starting to feel more positive. I still need to go to more meetings and call people in meetings just to have a "friendly chat".

Making friends in AA or NA meetings can be really helpful because you make connections with people in recovery who will not only help you but help with other things in life as well like giving you a ride to a close meeting if you don't have a car, help you find a job if you are unemployed or best of all, talk you out of drinking or using if you do call them.

My Name Is David L. and I am a Recovering Addict!

Thank You, and please comment below on what you think or any suggestions!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave Recovery to Addiction Related Comments Only !

Thank You !

D L.