Sunday, February 10, 2013

Recovery - 6 Steps on How to Avoid Alcohol

 Recovery - 6 Steps on How to Avoid Alcohol

 

Ok, Dave L. here. I am a recovering addict especially alcohol. Now, with that being said,  These following tips work for me (not all the time but most of the time) if and when I get the urge to drink and/or go to a liquor store.
 
recovery from alcohol

 

 Please Remember though, I am STILL in RECOVERY, I am an addict and ALWAYS will be!
 The difference is that I HAVE the CHOICE to control this addiction if i CHOOSE to!

 Or, I can let it go the other way and drink until i either pass out, end up in jail, in a detox or rehab or 6 feet below the ground ! ( if you know what i mean )

 So, I choose to Try and CONTROll my addiction as much as possible. What bothers me is that there is a commercial ( I wont say the name of this rehab for legal purposes) but they CLAIM that they "CURE" your addiction which is total bullshit! There is NO CURE!

 You will always have it with you everywhere you go. It is like a "light switch" that goes on and off at the most unexpected times.  For me, sometimes I just wake up and want to drink right away. Sick Huh?  So, with that said, below are some (hopeful helpful hints and tips) that may or might help you with that awful devil of a craving for alcohol:


 1. When you wake up in the morning, no mater what, drink a large glass of water. the electrolytes will give your brain an awareness of being more alert and therefore making you feel more optimistic on your next choice of actions.

 2. Stretch and do some Yoga - believe it or not, when you do this for just 5 - 10 min. you are bringing more blood to your brain and not only having a clamber effect afterwards but an over-all sense of well being thus making you make better decisions.

 3. Have a cup of coffee and/or eat something! When your stomach is somewhat full, it is hard to want to drink, especially beer which is already very filling.

 4. Take a quick walk outside for some fresh air. Breathing in fresh air is not only good for you but it also makes you think more clearly. Even better if the sun is shinning. Get some of that natural heliotheropy.

 5. Call someone - I don't know about you but when i call someone, usually a family member, or a sponsor, or friend and just "talk" about something funny, it makes me feel good and think of better things to do that day.

 6. If you have to walk, bike or drive pass any liquor stores on the way to work or where ever you are going, look away real fast and then remember what will happen when you drank. The sickness and and nausea, vomiting, fatigue, memory loss, body aches, hurting family or friends etc...

 I am hoping to come up with more to add to this list in the future....

 I hope some of these will help you out if you have that desire to have that drink.

 Please don't! 

 Thanks For Reading This and feel Free to Comment !

 David L. ( Recovering Addict)

2 comments:

  1. These are helpful tips. I think you should acquire help from alcohol rehab centers to get professional advices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kris, i actually have been in 5 Rehabs as of now and hope not to ever relapse to go to another one again but yes, i adquired several tips from professionals at all of the rehabs i have gone to.

    we have a menu above on the top with a box callled: " I Need Your Ideas to Write About - Please Suggest Some "
    The link to that page is below:

    http://recoveryfromalcoholdrugs.blogspot.com/p/suggest-ideas-fo.html

    so, if you have any, please share in that menu catagory.

    thanks, Dave L. (recovering alcoholic/addict)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave Recovery to Addiction Related Comments Only !

Thank You !

D L.